Birth Certificates

 The Ingham County Clerk only has birth certificates for individuals who were born in Ingham County.                    


Who can obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate? 
  • The individual or a parent named on the record.
  • A guardian of the person named on the record. You must provide a copy of your Letters of Guardianship, dated within the last 30 days.  
  • The attorney of the individual named on the record. Along with identification for themself and the individual named on the record, the attorney must include a signed letter on letterhead stating that you represent the individual, that you are a member in good standing in the State Bar of Michigan, and your P-Number.
  • A birth record can be released to anyone if the individual named on the record is deceased. In many instances, documentation such as a death certificate must be supplied as evidence of the individual's death. 
  • A birth record can be released if an appropriate court order is supplied.
How can I obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate? 

Complete our birth certificate request form and submit it by email, fax, or mail:

  1. Complete the Birth Certificate Request Form.
  2. Make a copy of your government-issued photo identification.
  3. Submit the request form, photo ID, and payment by email, fax, or mail. The request form has the necessary address information. If you submit your request by email or fax, you must pay by credit/debit card. If you submit your request by mail, you are welcome to pay by check, money order, or credit/debit card. Please make your check/money order payable to Ingham County Clerk. Please do not mail cash.

The birth record request will be mailed to you within 5 business days of the receipt of the request.

You are welcome to expedite your request for an additional $30.00.

Request your birth record in-person: Click Here for office locations and hours. Please make sure you bring government-issued picture identification.

$20.00 - First Copy
$10.00 - Additional Copies of the same record in the same transaction
$30.00 - Expedited Postage

If you do not have government-issued picture identification, you can provide three pieces of alternative identification. Acceptable forms include: 

  • Marriage License
  • Divorce Judgment
  • Certificed copy of birth record where requestor is parent or subject
  • Signed Federal, State, or Local Tax Return or W-2 
  • Pay Stub
  • Voter Card
  • Vehicle Registration
  • Bridge Card
  • Heath Insurance Card
  • Utility Bill
  • Medical Bill
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Military Discharge
  • School Records
  • Current Student Photo ID
  • Letter from a Government Agency, i.e. SSA, IRS, Michigan DHHS
  • Lease/Rental Agreement
  • Bank Statement or Card
  • State or Federal Prison Photo ID with release or discharge paper (dated within one year)
  • Blood Donor Card
  • Expired Federal or US State/Territory Issued Photo Identification, including expired US passport (non-MI)
  • Land sale contract or original deed to real property - either must include name & signature
  • Unexpired medical marijuana card issued by Michigan (including name, DOB, photo)
  • Original Vehicle Title
  • Profession/Trade License or Card issued by Michigan or State Bar of Michigan
  • Unexpired Association/Club Membership Card (w/ name & picture)
  • Unexpired Auto Roadside Assistance Card
  • Unexpired Proof of Car Insurance

*Note: Non-Refundable Service Fee for Credit/Debit Card Processing

Please be advised that as of August 1, 2016, there will be non-refundable service fee applied to all credit/debit card transactions.

Service Fee Schedule (as of June 30, 2017)
 Range  Service Fee
 $0 - $50  $1.75
 $50.01 - $75  $2
 $75.01 - $100  $3.75
 $100.01 - $150  $5.75
 $150.01 - $200  $7.25
For each additional increment of $50 (or portion thereof), add $2.    

 Out of Hospital Births (Home Births)

Please arrive no later than 4:00 p.m. to file home births to ensure there is sufficient time to file the record.

If a birth occurs outside an institution, a Michigan Live Birth Worksheet (pink sheet) must be completed and filed with the County Clerk within 1 year of the date of birth.

The birth must have occurred within Ingham County to file the record at the Ingham County Clerk’s Office. The following must be present in order for the County Clerk’s Office to process the filing:

  • At least one parent, with their valid state-issued ID or valid driver’s license
    • If both parents are present, they would both need their ID’s to sign the birth certificate
  • The child (within 1 year of birth)
  • Michigan Live Birth Worksheet (pink sheet), completed and signed by the Informant and the Certifier or Midwife

You may request certified copies of the birth record for a fee, once it has been placed on file.

If special circumstances are present that prevents the three above requirements, please contact the Executive Assistant at (517) 676-7215.